Selleys Kwik Grip Solvent
A heat resistant, solvent-based, flexible contact adhesive suitable for bonding both absorbent and non-absorbent surfaces. It forms an instant bond on contact of two surfaces.
- Heat resistance up to 130C
- No clamping required
- Suitable for interior and exterior jobs
- Cured adhesive is resistant to dilute acids and alkalis
- Grabs immediately on contact
- Easy to spread
- Tubes: 50ml, 100ml.
- Cans: 250ml, 500ml, 1L, 2L, 4L
- Yellowish to beige coloured opaque liquid with strong solvent odour.
- Thrifty Link
- Mitre 10
- Home Hardware
- Big W
- Clark Rubber
- Selected Auto Retailers
- Selected Paint Specialists
Where can this product be used?
- Bonding veneers of timber and laminated plastics, eg. Laminex and Formica to bench or table tops
- Areas where clamping or pressing facilities are either not available or difficult to use
- Patching vinyl flooring
- Replacing a vinyl tile
- Cork tiling
- Laying a vinyl floor
- Fixing shoes
- Fixing laminate to tables, benchtops etc
- Leather shoe and leather repairs, leather work eg handbags
- Repairing tents and outdoor equipment
- Adhering flexible or other material to Aluminium
- Joining, repairing holes in tents, car covers and other outdoor equipment
- Attaching rubbers to your fridge door
- Repairing your wetsuit
- Some plastics such as vinyl sheeting and polystyrene are attacked by Kwik Grip Solvent. Test in an inconspicuous area prior to application.
- Seek advice of vinyl flooring manufacturers prior to use with their products as discolouration and bubbling can occur with some types. If in doubt, Kwik Grip Advanced is safe to use for all these applications and will provide excellent bonding.
- Contains highly flammable solvents and care should be taken to ensure all fire precautions are observed. As an alternative, Kwik Grip Advanced is non-flammable.
- Not suitable for bonding rough, ill-fitting surfaces. (Consider the suitability of alternative products such as Liquid Nails for these applications).
What materials is this product suitable for?
- Laminated plastics (laminex, formica)
- Compressed board
How to use this product
- When bonding laminated plastics, ensure that surfaces to be bonded are clean, dry and free from grease or paint.
- Surfaces to be bonded should be relatively smooth and/or close fitting.
- Both surfaces should be completely covered with adhesive and kept apart till “touch dry” – no more than 40 minutes.
- Position the items carefully, still keeping surfaces apart. Remember once joined they cannot be repositioned. When edges are perfectly aligned, press surfaces firmly together.
- Secure bond by running a roller over the bonded surfaces or else by hammering the surface from the centre outwards using a padded block.
- For bonding other materials, apply as for laminated plastics above.
- When small surface areas are to be joined a wet bond may be used. Simply apply Kwik Grip Solvent to one surface then bring the surfaces together and clamp until dry.
- Care should be taken to test plastics prior to use as solvents present will attack some polystyrene and sheet vinyls.
- Up to 5sq.m/litre (bonded area 2.5sq.m/litre) depending on the porosity of surfaces.
- For vertical surfaces we recommend using SELLEYS Gel Grip.
- For applications in confined or low ventilation areas eg car interior, we recommend using SELLEYS Kwik Grip Advanced, as it is non-toxic and free of fumes.
- Use a brush, knife or serrated scraperfor application.
- When using the contact method REMEMBER bonding is immediate once the two surfaces are joined.
- Keep container sealed when not in use.
- For cleaning surfaces prior to application of adhesive, if the surface is porous, we would recommend using SELLEYS Liquid Sugar Soap. If the surface is non-porous eg glass or metal, firstly clean the surface with mineral turpentine and then again with methylated spirits. If there is old, difficult to remove residue such as old paint, we recommend using paint stripper such as SELLEYS Kwik Strip Smart. Ensure the surface is dry before applying the product.
- While wet, adhesive can be removed using mineral turps. Cured adhesive is very difficult to remove. Tools and other equipment on which Kwik Grip Solvent has dried may be cleaned by soaking in Toluol or lacquer thinner. Excess adhesive on the face of the jointed materials may also be removed with solvent, but care should be taken that the materials themselves are not damaged by the solvent.
- Keep a canister of SELLEYS Sugar Soap Wipes nearby for a quick and effective cleanup.
- Ensure thorough ventilation when using. Avoid using in a confined space for prolonged periods. We recommend you use Kwik Grip Advanced in these circumstances.
- Highly flammable. Do NOT use in the same area as flame, fire or spark producing apparatus or machinery.
- This product should not be accessible to juveniles, because of its solvent content. Intentional misuse by deliberately inhaling vapours from this product can be harmful or fatal.
- Contact with skin and eyes should be avoided and avoid breathing vapour.
- If in eyes flush with plenty of water for 15 minutes and seek medical advice.
- If poisoning occurs, contact a doctor or Poisons Information Centre. Phone Australia 131 126 or New Zealand 0800 764 766. If swallowed, do NOT induce vomiting. Give a glass of water and seek medical advice.
- For further information refer to the Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).
Storage and re-use
- Store in a cool area away from ignition sources and out of direct sunlight.
PVA adhesive specially formulated for interior woodworking repairs and projects. White in colour, dries clear and cleans up easily with water.
Industrial grade PVA, especially developed for use by professional woodworkers and craftsmen, for large projects. Off-white in colour, drying to a light coloured clear film.